Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The "Mom Mix"

In the boxes, I found some of my Mom's stuff. Set aside to look at later, which I never did. Can't say never, since I looked now. There was a tape that I found in my Mom's stereo. Been listening to it. Carly Simon, James Taylor, and Carol King, mostly. I'm assuming that her husband made the tape for her, before he passed away. All the songs are songs that I remember from my childhood. I've been a little sad, listening to it. Good sad, most of the time.

One of the songs was the 59th Street Bridge Song, or Feeling Groovy. My mom used to tell me how it was my favorite song when I was two years old. I knew all the words and would ask to hear it over and over again. I still love that song.

There was another song that I've always loved, along with a special book. Winnie The Pooh is the book. I don't remember too much from that age, but I remember that book, and my parents both reading it to me.

I still have my copy, and although I've read it to my own kids, I always take my book back and hide it away. It's my copy and means a lot to me. From that book, I fell in love with the tv shows and movie that Disney made by combining those shorts into one film.

Of course, when the time came, I made sure that my own daughter's baby room was Winnie The Pooh, too. A very comforting story and great characters made for a great feeling in that room.

On the mix tape, was The House At Pooh Corner, by Loggins and Messina. I guess this Pooh stuff was important to Mom, too. I didn't know.

Anyhow, like all the rest of it, I love that song, too.

The House At Pooh Corner

Christopher Robin and I walked along
under branches lit up by the moon.
Posing our questions to owl and eeyore
as our days disappeared all too soon.
But I've wandered much further today than I should
and I can't seeem to find my way back to the wood.

So, help me if you can I've got to get
back to the house at Pooh corner by one.
You'd be surprized there's so much to be done,
count all the bees in the hive,
chase all the clouds from the sky.
Back to the days of Christopher Robin and Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh doesn't know what to do,
got a honey jar stuck on his nose.
He came to me asking help and advice
and from here no one knows where he goes.
So I sent him to ask old Owl if he's there,
how to loosen a jar from the nose of a bear

So, help me if you can I've got to get
back to the house at Pooh corner by one
You'd be surprised there's so much to be done,
count all the bees in the hive,
chase all the clouds from the sky .
Back to the days of Christopher Robin and Pooh,
back to the days of Christopher Robin,
back to the ways of Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...