Friday, August 12, 2011

My top ten gluten free foods

At lunch the other day, after the sideways glance at my bunless burger and french fry plate, I was asked a few questions about whether I was avoiding gluten, carbs, or just bread. Seems my friend was looking into  the gf thing, but found it too complicated finding items that were gluten free.

"Hey, Roland, Do you have a good list of gluten free foods?" he asked.

"Why yes, yes I do!" I responded.

Roland's Top 10 Gluten Free Foods

  1. Meat
  2. Fish and shellfish
  3. Eggs
  4. Poultry
  5. Vegetables
  6. Fruit
  7. Cheese
  8. Plain yogurt
  9. Herbs and spices
  10. Fats and oils

GF foods, numbers 1, 2, 5, 9, & 10


Please note, that if the food has an ingredient list, in and of itself, you will need to do your reading and your research. Some things, like sausages, sauces, and dressings, may contain wheat based ingredients. Even soy sauce can contain wheat, just so you know... Stick to simple, raw ingredients, and your reading time is shortened and you get to eat that much quicker!

Why just ten items? Because, while things like rice and beans are gluten free, I think healthy diets should be centered around the above items, not grains and legumes. Avoiding gluten is just at the top of my list of the most important changes you can make to your diet. To quote David St. Hubbins, "or so I have said."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...