Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm feeling better and standing up again


I got sick last week, and I'm about back to 100% awesome. I'm able to train, but I still have to clear my throat and cough more than I'd like. I feel better than I have in months, despite the cold. Training has been great and very rewarding!

I'm also able to type again. I don't really advertise it, but I do about 90% of my typing standing up at a countertop or elevated work surface. At work, I get to hear "we'll make room so you can sit down" regularly. No thanks!

John Durant's stand up office experience

At Starbuck's I seek out the countertops and pub tables, when available. At work, we have standing computer stands in our showroom, so I often have options.

Sit vs stand calculator

It takes more energy to stand, as being sick will show you, than it does to sit. If that isn't enough to convince you that standing is healthier than sitting for your waistline, I don't know what is. It's also a lot healthier on the glutes, hips, feet and back, even if you are already svelte!

Although I'd love to stand all day, and burn 400 more calories, it's just not practical or even optimal. I try to sit when reading, stand when writing. As to last week's sickness/typing issue... Why not just sit down to type, you ask? Well, I must have an off button on my ass, because when I sit down, nothing gets done.

Here's one man's experience with the standup work plan over a year. The takeaway is to sit, stand, and move around. I have stood all day and then gone to the gym, no problem. I think that it comes down to level of fitness, other stress, other rest, and what your general level of activity might be. We are all different, so I urge you to play around with this stuff.

Do you use a computer a lot? What's your plan to sit less?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...