Friday, January 5, 2007

Incredulous

It's a funny word. And, it describes the general state of my father.

in·cred·u·lous
Pronunciation: (")in-'kre-j&-l&s, -dy&-l&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin incredulus, from in- + credulus credulous
1 : unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true : not credulous : SKEPTICAL
2 : INCREDIBLE
3 : expressing incredulity

Almost daily, I come home to some my Dad, expressing incredulity. Last week, it was Star Wars, Episode III (he still doesn't get that Anakin is Darth Vader...), this week, the trash men missed our recycle bin ("RIDICULOUS! Their whole job is trash!"), and in October, he went off to vote in November's election, only to find that the polling location didn't have booths setup yet ("Come back in two weeks, Sir." ("Why did they send me this ballot, if it wasn't time to vote!?!?")).

Virtually every day, I come home to him shaking his head incredulously at some common, everyday occurrence. Virtually every day, I come home and find myself shaking my head incredulously at my old man. I didn't realize that until today. We all have our things, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...