Saturday, May 17, 2008

Iced Coffee

Yeah. Too hot for hot coffee, even at 9am. It was 97 degrees today.

I gave up the iced coffee when Dietrich's closed up shot, but only because the stuff at Starbucks didn't compare. Well, maybe it still doesn't or maybe I just have no more point of comparison. Now, I like it. With half and half.

My biggest problem is that I suck it down too fast. A couple of good pulls and it's done. Sad for me. Time to learn to make it at home.

After a few "failures" with brewed, then chilled coffee, I googled and found out the issue. Ice coffee is made with toddy coffee. They say you need a fancy toddy coffee maker. Bullshit.


Toddy Coffee

8 scoops coffee beans
4 cups water (not hot)

Grind the beans, but leave them pretty coarse. Coarser than a french press grind, but don't sweat it.

Put the ground coffee in a jar with a lid and fill with the cool water. Put the lid on and shake a bit to make sure the grounds are wet. Leave the jar on the counter for 8-12 hours.

Put a coffee filter in your drip coffee machine and gently pour the toddy coffee into the filter basket, topping it off as the level in the basket allows. Once done, rinse the jar and pour the coffee back into the jar. Refrigerate the toddy coffee.

I plan to play around with the amount of coffee in the jar. Some sites have you making ultra strong concentrate and adding 2 to 3 parts water to make the iced or hot coffee.


Iced Coffee

Glass of ice
Toddy coffee
Water
Sweetener (optional)
Dairy (optional)

Play around with the ratios. I go about 1/2 and 1/2 water and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...