Monday, November 24, 2008

Cardamom Ice Cream

I'm in love with cardamom.  It's just amazing stuff.  I don't know that I'd even had it before a year ago, but now I go through it like most people do pepper.

The great thing is that most people can't identify it.  It's a secret ingredient in several of my recipes, and I usually get a great reaction from it.  Here, it takes plain ol' vanilla ice cream and makes it amazing.

Cardamom Ice Cream

Recipe is per person

2 scoops vanilla ice cream, plus a 1/2 scoop, melted
4 cardamom pods

Split the cardamom pods open and put the seeds in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or ultra clean coffee grinder.  I have a dedicated grinder just for spices, but if you don't, and want to use your coffee grinder, grind up some dry rice until the coffee grounds and coffee smell is gone, then do it one more time.  Brush it clean, then grind the spice.

Melt, or allow to melt, the 1/2 scoop of ice cream per person.  Stir the ground cardamom into the melted ice cream.

Scoop the ice cream into individual bowls, and evenly divide the melted ice cream amongst the bowls, pouring it over the scoops.

Garnish with a spoon.  Serve.  Eat.

Nutrition:  Whatever it says on the label of your ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...