Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pears with Cardamom and Sour Cream

I used to be anti-fruit.  Not that I thought it was bad, but just that it was not satisfying.  It was like eating nothing, or worse, made me hungrier.  No more.  Something changed in the last year and I'm liking fruit every day.  It's still the worst thing for me to have when I'm hungry, since it still does nothing to fill me up, but I love it and can deal with it just fine.

This recipe is pretty simple, but good.

Recipe is per person.

1 pear (room temperature)
1 cardamom pod
2 tbsp sour cream, divided

Break open the cardamom pod to get to the seeds.  Discard the husk.  Grind the seeds.  Hopefully you have a mortar and pestle, but if not, you can use a cutting board and the bottom of a heavy glass, mug, or pan to grind them.  They are pretty small to begin with, so it's not hard.

Cut the pear into bite size pieces and place into a small bowl.  Toss the pear with the cardamom, then 1 tablespoon of the sour cream, stirring to mix and coat.

Put it in a pretty bowl or cup and plop another tablespoon of sour cream on top.  Let it sit for a few minutes before serving.  Temperature is important.  Cold kills flavor.

I'm going to try poaching a pear next time, but since I like crisp pears a lot, I wonder when I'll get around to it...

Nutrition (using a large pear): Calories 182, Fat 6, Carbs 34, Fiber 6, Protein 2

1 comment:

  1. mmm, cardamom - a favorite spice of mine. this looks excellent!

    re: mortar - when I was a kid and grandma was baking for Christmas she taught me to put the seeds (from many many pods) in a man's handkerchief, take a hammer, go out to the back porch and whack away - and then carefully and gently blow away and of the "papers" still there. After she passed away, we bought a mortar & pestle. I'm not sure that her way isn't actually better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...