Sunday, August 2, 2009

Coconut Banana "Ice Cream"

I found the inspiration in three places:  Dani Spies, 7-Eleven, and my own homemade banana shakes.

I read Dani Spies' blog a few days ago and mentally filed away a plan to freeze a few bananas.  Then, today, Tony and I took a walk to 7-Eleven for a treat.  He picked up a drumstick, while I decided to go for "healthy" and pickup one of the Mexican fruit and cream bars.  They still have calories and sugar, but I feel better about 3-4 ingredients that are all pretty close to what I would use if I were making something at home.

I chose a Coco coconut dessert bar.  It's basically a fruit popsickle on a stick.  230 cals worth of shredded coconut, cream, and sugar.  I didn't save the wrapper, but it's possible that it had coconut milk or cream, too.  Basically, it had no "miscellaneous," which I like.  Simple, and the only bad thing was the sugar, so I got it.

It was really good.  Like really, really good.  Creamy and light, with plenty of coconut flavor and actual coconut shreds.  Did I mention it was really good?  ...and it was like seventy five cents.  A bargain compared to the $2.75 drumstick.

Walking back, I was trying to think of a way to make a dessert like this at home, but without added nutritionless sweeteners.  Dani Spies' creation came to mind, as the banana shakes that I make for Tony and me.



Coconut Banana "Ice Cream"

Serves 2

2 bananas (previously sliced into rings and frozen in a zipper bag)
.5 oz unsweetened, shredded coconut
.25 cup coconut milk

Pour all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until it's creamy.  If necessary, drizzle a tiny bit more milk to get to the desired consistency..  It will never be totally smooth because of the shredded coconut.

Garnish with a few reserved coconut shreds. 

Nutrition:  205 calories, 11g Fat, 29g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 2.5g Protein 



Toasted Coconut Banana "Ice Cream"

Basically the same as above, but toasted coconut is really good.  You might not like the way it looks, you choose.

Serves 2

2 bananas (previously sliced into rings and frozen in a zipper bag)
.5 oz unsweetened, shredded coconut
.25 cup coconut milk

Heat a dry skillet over medium high heat.  Add the coconut shreds and shake and stir until they are lightly toasted.  Set in a bowl to cool.

Pour all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until it's creamy.  If necessary, drizzle a tiny bit more milk to get to the desired consistency..  It will never be totally smooth because of the shredded coconut.

Garnish with a few reserved coconut shreds.

Nutrition:  205 calories, 11g Fat, 29g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 2.5g Protein 


Pina Colada Banana "Ice Cream"

I know, no bananas in a pina colada.  Whatever..

Serves 2

2 bananas (Previously sliced into rings and frozen in a zipper bag)
.5 oz unsweetened, shredded coconut
.25 cup pineapple chunks, drained (Use unsweetened, fresh, in juice, etc. Like, don't use the syrup ones)
.25 cup coconut milk (or less if pineapple is good and juicy)

Pour first three ingredients, along with half of the coconut milk,  in a food processor or blender and blend until it's creamy.  If necessary, drizzle a tiny bit more of the coconut milk to get to the desired consistency..  It will never be totally smooth because of the shredded coconut.

Garnish with a cherry or a wedge of pineapple.

Nutrition:  225 calories, 11g Fat, 34g Carbs, 4.5g Fiber, 2.5g Protein

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the addition of coconut milk AND pineapple! I can;t wait to try the pina colada version! Thanks for the yummy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'm trying this. I love the paletas, too--I always get the coconut, since it's the common one--but try walnut next time if you can find it---really tasty. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...