Monday, May 31, 2010

I Proclaim This "The Summer of Squash!"

From the Summer of 69, the Summer of Love,



to the Summer of George, every summer should have a theme.

I proclaim this the summer of squash!

Backpack Full of Squash
I'm a regular at the Torrance Farmer's Market, but to be honest, the last few months have been pretty blah.  I'm not a huge fan of citrus fruit, and you can get root vegetables anywhere. I like apples, but I don't need apples the size of softballs, so I stick to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for normal, snack sized fruit.

I'd still walk down, mostly  for the exercise, and pick up a few things that are merely staples, then head home, dreaming of persimmon season coming in another half year.

I totally forgot about summer squash.

Every stall was full of the same boring stuff AND summer squash.  I love this stuff.


I made the rounds, and picked just enough of each variety to last the week, allowing me to try them all.


Most were familiar, but some are new to me.  I'm sure I'll love them, and I'll try to post a few recipes, but by and large, I like things simple - steamed, grilled, or sauteed, sea salt and pepper, and some sort of oil or crumbled cheese.  We'll see what happens.

A Squirrel
This little guy seemed pretty taken by the squashes, too.   I put down my backpack on the lawn near the Farmers Market, and this guy came to check things out.  As tame as he seemed, I gave him no squash.

My Summer of Squash begins...



This is going to be my time.  Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin!  I proclaim this The Summer of George!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...