Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Top 10 extruded foods

Partially based upon these foods, I can support the idea that it's not the "Standard American Diet" that's the issue, but the Modern Industrial Diet. I know SAD sounds cooler than MID, but what can you do?

From Ohio State's "Extruded Foods: Cheese or Cocoa Puffs"

Upon discharge through the die, the hot, plastic extrudate expands rapidly with loss of moisture and heat because of sudden decrease in pressure. After expansion cooling, and drying, the extruded product develops a rigid structure and maintains a porous texture.
Advantages of food extrusion are versatility, high productivity, low cost, product shapes, high product quality, energy efficiency, production of new foods, and no effluents or waste.


<sarcasm> This is what I look for in my food. </sarcasm>


So, in no particular order, I present...


  • chicken nuggets
  • chicken patties, crispy or spicy and crispy



But is it free range extrudate?


  • cookies


Like grandma used to make




  • cheese puffs
  • cocoa puffs



  • Fiber One
  • pasta



  • Froot Loops
  • kibbles (and bits?)
  • Play-Doh







  • churros
  • Slim Jims





I cannot say that extruded foods are bad merely because they are extruded; I can extrude my own sausage at home, and the wife even extruded some cream cheese as part of our wedding reception appetizers. But that's about it...

Extruded food class... DISMISSED!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...