Thursday, August 18, 2011

One hour long cycle '11

October 22nd, 2011, my friend Jason Dolby is holding the 2nd annual One Hour Long Cycle, this time to raise money for the Japanese relief effort.

The whole world is keenly aware of the devastation caused by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and the ongoing nuclear tragedy that continues to this day. We feel for them all, but for Jason and Orange Kettlebell Club, it's personal; Mutual friend and OKC founder Nazo is from Japan and was there in Tokyo even as it all started. Thankfully she is safe, but the people of Japan, including the family and friends of Nazo, my good friend Aya, and many more are still there and living amidst this ongoing disaster. Won't you help us help them? Please follow the link to join me in the event or just to donate.

Thanks!

Now, please excuse me while I change the tone a bit...  


This marathon kettlebell lifting event was brutal last year. I remember it well. One hour of straight kettlebell lifting, without putting the kettlebell down. Last year I used a 20 kilogram kettlebell, and it kicked my butt. I lost track of my reps in my attempt to finish the hour (I did finish), but it was somewhere around 340-350 reps.


Last year, we raised a good deal of money and broke a ton of records.



Jason did an hour straight with TWO 20kg kettlebells. One hour without setting them down and unable to switch hands back and forth like the rest of us could. Amazing.


All in all, there were over 20 of us lifting for an hour, and we all proudly finished!

This year, my plan starts with bumping my kettlebell up to a more manly 24kg. That's almost 53 pounds to those of us who don't speak metric!

I've been training with my 24kg kettlebell for the past week and a half, and I'm prepared to commit to this weight. I'm practicing maintaining six reps per minute, and I'll have to see how this goes. So far, so good!

As of this morning, I have three serious training sessions under my belt, up to 20 minutes of the 1 handed kettlebell clean and jerk (aka One Arm Long Cycle) with a 24kg kettlebell, and a seemingly doable 6 reps per minute... I'm in! What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...